Ivermectin for Dogs: Ivermectin is an antiparasitic drug used to treat parasitic infections in animals and humans. For dogs, ivermectin is most commonly used as a heartworm preventative and to treat infections caused by parasites such as mites, lice, and certain ticks. Ivermectin works by interfering with nerve and muscle function in parasites, causing paralysis and death.
Ivermectin is available as a tablet, chewable, injection, and topical treatment. The specific dosage and form depends on a dog’s weight and the type of infection being treated. Ivermectin should only be given to dogs infected with parasites or as a preventative for heartworm, as higher doses can be toxic for some breeds. Owners should carefully follow their veterinarian’s dosage instructions.
For heartworm prevention, ivermectin is usually given once a month in tablet or chewable form. To treat parasitic infections, ivermectin is often given in two doses, 14 days apart. Common side effects may include lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea. More serious side effects can occur, especially in some breeds that are sensitive to the drug, so close monitoring by a vet is recommended.
Used properly and in moderation, ivermectin can be a safe and effective treatment for dogs with parasitic infections. However, ivermectin can interact with some medications and may not be suitable for all dogs. Pet owners should always consult their veterinarian before giving ivermectin to their dog.
The Benefits of Using Ivermectin on Dogs
Using ivermectin to protect your dog from harmful parasites is a safe and effective option when used properly under the guidance of a veterinarian. This broad-spectrum antiparasitic agent can help prevent and treat several diseases that threaten canine health.
- One of the main benefits of ivermectin for dogs is its ability to prevent heartworm disease, which is transmitted through mosquito bites. Heartworms can be fatal if left untreated. Ivermectin interferes with the parasite’s nervous system and muscle function, ultimately causing death. When administered monthly at the proper dosage, ivermectin is very effective at preventing heartworm infection.
- Ivermectin also treats and controls most common intestinal parasites, including roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and certain tapeworms. By eliminating parasitic infections, ivermectin can improve your dog’s digestion, appetite, and overall health. It may also help reduce diarrhea, vomiting, and anemia caused by parasites.
- In addition to internal parasites, ivermectin treats certain external parasites such as mites (scabies) and lice. It kills the parasites that live on the skin and in the ears of dogs. By treating these external parasites, ivermectin can relieve itching, reduce inflammation, and promote healing of sores caused by mange mites and lice.
When used properly under veterinary guidance, ivermectin is generally well tolerated in dogs and the benefits far outweigh the risks. However, some dogs may experience side effects such as lethargy, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Ivermectin should not be used in certain breeds or in puppies less than 6 weeks of age. With regular deworming, ivermectin helps keep dogs of all ages happy, healthy, and parasite-free.
Side Effects of Using Ivermectin on Dogs
When administered properly under veterinary guidance, ivermectin is generally well tolerated in dogs. However, some side effects can occur, including:
- Gastrointestinal upset: Ivermectin may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea in some dogs. These side effects are usually transient, but contact your vet if they persist or worsen.
- Lethargy: Some dogs may experience tiredness, drowsiness, or decreased activity for a day or two after receiving a dose of ivermectin. This is a normal reaction and will resolve once the medication is out of their system.
- Muscle tremors: Rarely, dogs may display tremors, shaking, or muscle spasms. This can indicate ivermectin toxicity, so contact your vet immediately if your dog shows these neurological signs.
- Allergic reaction: As with any medication, some dogs may have an allergic reaction to ivermectin. Watch for symptoms such as facial swelling, hives, scratching, sudden onset of diarrhea or vomiting. Seek emergency vet care immediately if a reaction occurs.
It is critical to carefully follow your vet’s dosage instructions based on your dog’s weight. An overdose of ivermectin can be extremely dangerous and even fatal. Do not give a dog medication that has been prescribed for another animal.
Certain dog breeds that carry the MDR1 gene mutation, such as Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs, and Australian Shepherds, are more prone to adverse effects and toxicity from ivermectin. Genetic testing can determine if a dog has this mutation before prescribing ivermectin. Lower doses or alternative treatments may be recommended for at-risk breeds.
When used properly and under veterinary supervision, the benefits of ivermectin generally far outweigh the risks. However, as with any medication, side effects can occur in some animals. Carefully monitor your dog after administration and contact your vet right away if you notice any abnormal symptoms or reactions.
READ ALSO: Proviable for Dogs: A Probiotic for Your Dog
What conditions does ivermectin treat in dogs?
Ivermectin is commonly used to prevent or treat a variety of parasites, such as heartworms, intestinal worms, fleas, and ticks. The most well-known use is for heartworm prevention. Ivermectin works by interfering with the nervous system of worms and parasites, causing paralysis and death.
What is the proper dosage of ivermectin for dogs?
The dosage of ivermectin for dogs depends on the condition being treated and the dog’s weight. For heartworm prevention, the typical dose is 6 micrograms per kilogram of body weight, given monthly. Higher doses are used to treat existing heartworm infections and other parasites. It’s best to have your vet determine the correct dose for your dog based on their weight and needs.
How often should ivermectin be given to dogs?
For heartworm prevention, ivermectin should be given once every month. For the treatment of existing parasite infections, the medication is usually given as a single dose, then repeated in 7-14 days. Your vet will determine the appropriate frequency and duration of treatment for your dog’s specific needs.
Is ivermectin safe for all dogs?
Ivermectin is safe for most dogs, but some breeds with the MDR1 gene mutation, such as Collies and Australian Shepherds, may be sensitive to higher doses. In these breeds, ivermectin can potentially cross the blood-brain barrier, causing neurologic toxicity. Breeds with this mutation should only take ivermectin under veterinary guidance and at a lower dose.
Are there any side effects of ivermectin for dogs?
Ivermectin is generally well tolerated in dogs, but some common side effects may include: lethargy or lack of energy, decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, dilated pupils, unsteadiness, weakness. More serious side effects can occur in sensitive breeds or with high doses and may include blindness, disorientation, and even coma. Contact your vet immediately if your dog shows these signs.
Most pet owners find ivermectin to be a safe and effective medication for dogs when used properly under veterinary guidance. However, some precautions should be taken, especially for certain breeds. If you have additional questions or concerns about ivermectin for your dog, consult your vet.