Permethrin Toxiciy Cats Treatment: Symptoms, Cause And Treatments

Permethrin Toxiciy Cats Treatment: Symptoms, Cause And Treatments

Permethrin Toxiciy Cats Treatment: As a pet owner, discovering that your cat has been exposed to permethrin can be an frightening experience. Permethrin is a common insecticide found in many flea and tick prevention products for dogs that can be highly toxic to cats. Even limited skin contact or ingestion of permethrin by cats can lead to a range of symptoms from skin irritation to tremors, seizures or even death if left untreated.

What Is Permethrin Toxicity in Cats?

Permethrin toxicity in cats occurs when a cat is exposed to permethrin, a common insecticide found in many flea treatments and repellents. Permethrin is a synthetic pyrethroid, which are nerve poisons that attack the nervous system of insects. While permethrin is safe for dogs in proper doses, even small amounts can be extremely toxic to cats.

Permethrin Toxiciy Cats Treatment: Symptoms, Cause And Treatments

READ ALSO: Arthritis Treatment for Cats: Symptoms And Types

Common Symptoms and Effects of Permethrin Poisoning

If your cat has ingested permethrin, they may exhibit the following symptoms:

  • Excessive drooling or frothing at the mouth. The chemical can irritate the tissues in the mouth and throat.
  • Dilated pupils. Permethrin exposure often leads to abnormal pupil size and responsiveness.
  • Muscle tremors or seizures. Permethrin is a neurotoxin that can disrupt nerve signaling in the body, which may cause trembling, twitching, or full seizures.
  • Difficulty walking or standing. Permethrin poisoning can impair motor functions and balance.
  • Vomiting or diarrhea. Ingesting permethrin may irritate the stomach and intestines, causing nausea, vomiting, cramping or diarrhea.
See also  Tritrichomonas Foetus in Cats Natural Treatment

The severity of symptoms depends on the amount of permethrin ingested and each cat’s individual sensitivity. In mild to moderate cases, symptoms tend to resolve within 24-48 hours with supportive care and by allowing the chemical to clear from the cat’s system. However, some cats may face life-threatening medical issues if a large amount of permethrin was ingested, or if symptoms are left untreated. You should take your cat to an emergency vet immediately if they show signs of permethrin toxicity.

Causes And Sources of Permethrin Exposure in Cats

Permethrin toxicity in cats occurs when a cat is exposed to the pesticide permethrin, often found in flea and tick treatment products meant for dogs. The most common causes of permethrin exposure and toxicity in cats include:

  • Misuse or accidental application of canine permethrin-based topical flea treatments. These products should never be used on cats, as permethrin is highly toxic to felines.
  • Contact with recently treated dogs. Cats may become exposed by close contact with dogs that have recently had a permethrin product applied. Pet owners should keep treated dogs isolated from cats for at least 24 hours after application.
  • Environmental contamination. Permethrin products may contaminate areas where the treatment was applied, such as the yard, bedding, carpets, and furniture. Cats that come into contact with these contaminated areas may then groom themselves and ingest the permethrin, leading to toxicity. Proper ventilation and cleaning of areas where permethrin was used can help minimize environmental exposure risks.

READ ALSO: 5 Best Vets That Declaw Cats Near Me

Treatment Options for Permethrin Poisoning in Cats

When you deal with kitty permethrin problems, keep these five things in mind:

1. Bathing

The bath should be cold water mixed with liquid dish soap because it is very important. Hot water might improve blood flow and absorption in the skin, while cold water should be avoided because it could make hypothermic patients’ symptoms worse.

See also  Oral Flea Treatment for Cats: The Easier Way to Fight Fleas

2. Thermoregulation

Permethrin can make your muscles shake, which can make you too hot. This could lead to rhabdomyolysis or DIC in the worst cases. Fluids through an IV and fans can be used along with washing if the patient is getting too hot from the shaking.

3. Intravenous Fluid Administration

As we already said, giving your patient water through an IV is important if they are getting too hot. They will also protect the kidneys from damage caused by rhabdomyolysis if it happens. Also, most cats won’t drink when they’re sick, and their muscles will make them lose extra water, so it’s important to keep them hydrated.

4. Control Tremors

Get good control over the shakes and keep it up. This is also a very important step. Even though methocarbamol is usually the first drug used, antidepressants, propofol, and/or gas anesthesia may be needed in some cases to help more.

5. Nutritional Support

Most of the time, cats don’t feel well enough to eat or are too sedated to do so. This is probably the most overlooked part of treating these cases. Because their muscles are working so hard, they burn more calories than normal. If your cat isn’t eating or coming home after 12 to 24 hours, you should think about giving it nutritional support.

READ ALSO: Natural Remedies for Fleas: Safe Solutions for Cats

FAQs

Permethrin toxicity in cats can be serious, but the good news is that the prognosis is often good if treated promptly. Here are some frequently asked questions about permethrin toxicity in cats:

See also  Radioactive Iodine Treatment for Cats: Everything You Need to Know

What Are The Symptoms of Permethrin Toxicity in Cats?

Symptoms of permethrin exposure in cats may include excessive salivation, tremors, seizures, and difficulty walking. Cats may also experience hyperexcitability, restlessness, dilated pupils, and respiratory distress. In severe cases, symptoms can progress to coma or death if left untreated. Seek immediate veterinary care if your cat exhibits any symptoms after exposure to permethrin.

What Causes Permethrin Toxicity in Cats?

Permethrin is a synthetic pyrethroid commonly used as an insecticide. While permethrin is considered safe for use on dogs in proper dilutions, it is extremely toxic to cats due to their inability to properly metabolize it. Accidental exposure to permethrin-based flea and tick prevention products intended for dogs can easily poison cats. Always keep these products away from cats and properly sealed to avoid accidental poisoning.

How is Permethrin Toxicity Treated?

Treatment focuses on controlling symptoms and preventing progression to more severe toxicity. Your vet may induce vomiting, pump the stomach, or administer activated charcoal to absorb any permethrin still in the digestive tract. With prompt treatment, most cats will recover within 24-48 hours. However, some cats may continue to experience tremors or balance issues for several days after treatment.

By understanding the symptoms, causes, and treatment of permethrin toxicity in cats, you can take steps to prevent accidental exposure and get your cat veterinary care right away if poisoning occurs. When used properly and kept away from cats, permethrin-based products can be safe for use on dogs. But as with any pesticide, exercise caution and always follow instructions carefully.